CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Family Supercars

Anyone who knows me knows I love supercars. Just about every computer I touch gets a background picture of a Bugatti Veyron, a Shelby Supercar Ultimate Aero TT or something similar.
But lately some of what I've been seeing upsets me.
A couple months ago I opened up an issue of Car and Driver and saw a Porsche sedan.
They call it the Panamera. It was designed to compete in a class with the Mercedes-Benz CLS. But personally, I've never really put Porsche and Mercedes in the same class. It was bad enough when the Cayenne made its North American debut in 2003, but at least that is very different from what Porsche is, or was, known for. This new car, the Panamera, which is supposed to come out in 2009, looks like someone treated a 911 like silly-putty. They stretched and disfigured it, added a couple doors and gave it a new name.
The Panamera will get the same engine as the Cayenne. That's a 4.5-liter, V8 engine which will produce about 350 horsepower, and a 500 hp turbocharged option may also be available.
But no number of horsepower could convince me that a four door, front engine Porsche is OK.
Porsche has hurt me, and I think (or at least I hope) some Porsche purists may agree.
While Porsche may have crushed me, but Bugatti broke my heart.
It was like someone telling me that Jimmy Choo was going to start making orthopedic sneakers. I picked up a copy of Automobile and practically threw it right back down.
A Bugatti sedan was staring me in the face. That's right. Based on the Veyron, the Volkswagen AG owned Bugatti has produced a super sedan. If that wasn't bad enough, brace yourself for what's coming next.
The four-door Bugatti monstrosity will get the same engine the Veyron has. If you didn't read my first post, I'll quickly recap, it's an 8-liter, W16 (that's two V8s put side-by-side) engine.
Little Billy and Susie will never be late for school again.
It will be a couple more years before we begin to see this Bugatti faux pas, but as far as I'm concerned, Bugatti can take as long as they want before they actually begin producing it. I don't want to see it. Though at about $1 million apiece, I doubt I'll see too many.
Supercars have always been a love of mine, but this sedan trend has got to stop. It takes these fast, hot cars and makes them old. There is no good argument in favor of four doors.
You do not buy couture clothing to wear every day, and you do not buy a supercar sedan to pick up kids and groceries.
To all the supercar manufacturers, leave the sedan making to someone else and keep putting out the heart-pounding, probably should not be street legal autos we all love and wish we could afford. Please, and thank you!

0 comments: