CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Will it be worth the wait?

It's finally happening. The Chevy Camaro will make its comeback early next year. Should muscle car fans prepare themselves for another pony car competitor? Or should they start getting ready for something more?

The Chevy Camaro made its debut in 1966 (1967 model year) to compete with Ford's original pony car, the Mustang (1964 1/2). Since then the line has been clearly drawn between Chevy enthusiasts and Ford fans, it has been the Mustang vs. the Camaro for many years. Sure at some points other muscles factored in, the Dodge Challenger, Pontiac Firebird, Mercury Cougar - you get the point - but I've always noticed the rivalry between Mustangs and Camaros. So what's different now?

According to an article in Motortrend, Chevy has been testing the new Camaro against the Dodge Charger, Nissan 350Z and Infiniti G37. Chevy looked upmarket, higher prices and performance, for vehicles to compare 5th generation Camaro to.

I'm an avid Mustang fan but since I first saw the Camaro concept I've been looking forward to seeing it on showroom floors and maybe even cruising down Pacific Coast Highway. I have to admit, I admire Chevy's bold move to develop the Camaro against more upscale cars. I also admire the guts Chevy is displaying by bringing in another V8 (there is a V6 options) car when in just a few years the new CAFE standards will be enforced.

I'll give some more technical details after I do a little more research, but the estimated price for the new Camaro is between $22,000 and $33,000.

It's been a long time coming, I hope the new Camaro doesn't disappoint.


The new Camaro enticed audiences when it starred as Bumblebee in the 2007 blockbuster "Transformers."

0 comments: